[CentOS] strange RPM dependency observed in CentOS 7

Jonathan Billings

billings at negate.org
Tue Dec 8 13:44:25 UTC 2020

On Tue, Dec 08, 2020 at 02:33:01PM +0100, Walter H. wrote:
> can someone explain, why the two packages
> -  GeoIP
> -  geoipupdate
> are needed when installing the bind-utils package?

The bind-utils package requires 'libGeoIP.so.1()(64bit)', which is
provided by the GeoIP package.  The GeoIP package requires
'geoipupdate', which is provided by the geoipupdate package.

% rpm -q --requires bind-utils|grep GeoIP
libGeoIP.so.1()(64bit)
% rpm -q --requires GeoIP | grep geoipupdate
geoipupdate

GeoIP provides a C library and a lookup tool to look up countries from
an IP address.  The bind-utils executables are all linked against
libGeoIP.so.1, so I assume they use some functionality from that
library.

/usr/bin/geoipupdate is a tool to update the data files in the GeoIP
package.