[CentOS] [CentOS-devel] https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

Rainer Duffner

rainer at ultra-secure.de
Tue Dec 8 14:42:20 UTC 2020

> Am 08.12.2020 um 15:32 schrieb Phelps, Matthew <mphelps at cfa.harvard.edu>:
>
> This is really, really bad for the majority of us using CentOS.

Of course it is.

> Is there any way we can lobby for the reversal of this decision? Remember
> that the -devel mailing list, and IRC channels *do not* represent the vast
> majority of CentOS users. Most of us are just sysadmins trying to keep our
> systems that have been using CentOS for many, many years running and our
> procedures for installing, and patching systems working after whatever
> changes have been mysteriously decided upon, and forced on us.
>
> We will be forced to look at other distributions now; and forced to do a
> ton of unnecessary work to deal with this.

The reality is that it was always on borrowed time.

Getting RHEL without paying for it and with slight delays in updates (most people don’t even update that often anyway) wasn’t going to be sustainable, ever.

If your business case resolves around being able to freeload on the work of others, then there’s a serious problem with the business case.

And I say that as somebody who has installed a large portion of the CentOS8 (and 7) servers at work.

Not sure what we ourselves are going to do about it, though.

I would hate to switch to Ubuntu for the stuff I like CentOS most for (for some, it’s arguably not the greatest distro).

We might end up licensing RHEL for that - and the rest maybe Fedora.