[CentOS] [CentOS-devel] https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

Alan Mead

amead2 at alanmead.org
Tue Dec 8 18:20:47 UTC 2020

On 12/8/2020 11:28 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> I have been doing this for 17 years. I would continue doing for 17
> more.  But it is what it is and wishing for it to be different is not
> going to happen.  I know .. I've tried.

We owe everyone who worked on CentOS a big thank you.

I think a lot of people are overwhelmed by the fact that the CentOS we
knew appears to be dying (was killed, in fact).

I wonder what the ultimate outcome will be. Probably RHEL will get a few
new subscribers and some CentOS users will migrate to stream, but I
think this will ultimately diminish Red Hat within the Linux world.
Probably net advantage to Ubuntu.

I shudder to imagine a world where Oracle Linux replaces CentOS.

-Alan

--

Alan D. Mead, Ph.D.
President, Talent Algorithms Inc.

science + technology = better workers

http://www.alanmead.org

The irony of this ... is that the Internet is
both almost-infinitely expandable, while at the
same time constrained within its own pre-defined
box. And if that makes no sense to you, just
reflect on the existence of Facebook. We have
the vastness of the internet and yet billions
of people decided to spend most of them time
within a horribly designed, fake-news emporium
of a website that sucks every possible piece of
personal information out of you so it can sell it
to others. And they see nothing wrong with that.

-- Kieren McCarthy, commenting on why we are not
                    all using IPv6