[CentOS] https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

Paul Heinlein

heinlein at madboa.com
Tue Dec 8 19:04:45 UTC 2020

On Tue, 8 Dec 2020, Rich Bowen wrote:

> The future of the CentOS Project is CentOS Stream, and over the next year
> we’ll be shifting focus from CentOS Linux, the rebuild of Red Hat Enterprise
> Linux (RHEL), to CentOS Stream, which tracks just ahead of a current RHEL
> release. CentOS Linux 8, as a rebuild of RHEL 8, will end at the end of 2021.
> CentOS Stream continues after that date, serving as the upstream
> (development) branch of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

I suppose I understand the negative feedback -- CentOS 8.x will no
longer be a rebuild of RHEL 8.x but will instead be some version of
RHEL 8.(x + 1) -- but I'm much more interested in empirical results
than in suppositions. I've taken a couple test VMs and set them to
CentOS 8 Stream and will keep an eye on them. They will either prove
stable or not, but (observation > guessing) in my book.

If history is any guide, they will prove very stable. If not, then
I'll pour one out for CentOS and look elsewhere.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com
45°38' N, 122°6' W