[CentOS] https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

Johnny Hughes

johnny at centos.org
Tue Dec 8 23:05:51 UTC 2020

On 12/8/20 3:40 PM, Jim Bourne wrote:
> On 08/12/2020 15:48, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> I promise you, to the best of my knowledge, IBM had nothing to do with
>> this decision.  Red Hat is a distinct unit inside IBM and Red Hat still
>> has a CEO, CFO, etc.  Red Hat also maintains a neutral relationship with
>> many IBM competitors. So this was not an IBM decision.
>
> Then WHO made the decision?
>
> Where was the transparency in this decision by the CentOS Board?
> (assuming CentOS still *has* a working independent board)
>
> Judging from the reactions, I don't believe that anyone saw this coming.
> Where was the community consultation on IF this was a good idea.

The CentOS Project board has a Red Hat Liaison.  That position is
documented here:

https://www.centos.org/about/governance/board-responsibilities/#red-hat-liaison-responsibilities

Also see role of Liaison here (and look at B:):

https://www.centos.org/about/governance/voting/

The bottom line is .. a decision of the CentOS Board has been made and
we don't have to like it.  We do have to do it, regardless of if we like it.