[CentOS] https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

Alexandru Pătrănescu

drealecs at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 06:05:43 UTC 2020

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020, 22:58 Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:

> On 12/8/20 1:04 PM, Paul Heinlein wrote:
> > On Tue, 8 Dec 2020, Rich Bowen wrote:
> >
> >> The future of the CentOS Project is CentOS Stream, and over the next
> >> year we’ll be shifting focus from CentOS Linux, the rebuild of Red Hat
> >> Enterprise Linux (RHEL), to CentOS Stream, which tracks just ahead of
> >> a current RHEL release. CentOS Linux 8, as a rebuild of RHEL 8, will
> >> end at the end of 2021. CentOS Stream continues after that date,
> >> serving as the upstream (development) branch of Red Hat Enterprise
> Linux.
> >
> > I suppose I understand the negative feedback -- CentOS 8.x will no
> > longer be a rebuild of RHEL 8.x but will instead be some version of RHEL
> > 8.(x + 1) -- but I'm much more interested in empirical results than in
> > suppositions. I've taken a couple test VMs and set them to CentOS 8
> > Stream and will keep an eye on them. They will either prove stable or
> > not, but (observation > guessing) in my book.
> >
> > If history is any guide, they will prove very stable. If not, then I'll
> > pour one out for CentOS and look elsewhere.
> >

> Which is the approach I recommend everyone take.
>
> And, it will likely be sometime mid to late 1st quarter 2021 before
> CentOS Stream is in its 'Fully Functional' state with community pull
> requests and the RHEL package maintainer doing all the work in CentOS
> Stream, etc .  CentOS Linux 8 will still be available and updated until
> the end of December 2021.

Hey,

In my view, I think CentOS Linux 8 should be kept along with CentOS Stream
8.

Their purpose is different and I can't see why they cannot coexist.

There are production environments where even CentOS Linux 7 repositories
are intentionally delayed with an extra month for non-security minor
changes, just to be sure things are as stable as possible.
I cannot see that moving from CentOS Linux 8 to CentOS Stream 8.

But there are of course cases where users would want to move.

If the two distributions would coexist, over the years, you will understand
the need for users moving or not and act accordingly, in the interest of
the community.

So far, it looks like it will just backfire even for cases that could
actually be quite prone to moving.

Regards,
Alex