[CentOS] [CentOS-devel] https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

Veli-Pekka Kestilä

centos at vpk.nu
Wed Dec 9 07:15:40 UTC 2020

On 9.12.2020 0.38, Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 08, 2020 at 08:34:54AM -0600, Christopher Wensink wrote:
>
> Is it possible that more regressions will get through than have before?
> Well, sure, some. But let's not pretend that even RHEL is ever
> regression-free. It's software, after all, and there are bugs and
> errata. I don't think that for most self-supported CentOS use, it will
> be particularly dangerous to switch to Stream at all.

It might or it might not. But you can't say to people in good faith anymore
that it will be as stable as the current RHEL release.

> And if your use case isn't covered by one of the upcoming low- and
> no-cost programs, and you can't take the risk or the possible increased
> change management overhead, or for some other reason... well, is it
> _really_ so bad for companies to pay for RHEL? (I like my family to be
> able to eat, so I'm a bit biased.... but all of this has to come from
> something.)

I have recommended CentOS to my customers as way to get going and also
recommended getting the subscription for RHEL when possible afterwards.

After the change I lost my last argument for not going to Ubuntu LTS
instead. Lot of companies I deal with have already done that. Problem is
that with Ubuntu being in developers/users workstations that is what
people mainly want without good arguments for something different.

This might serve the way to reduce amount of RHEL subscriptions in
future. If this will happen, that I don't know. What I do know is that I
don't have any arguments left for getting people started on RHEL/CentOS
route.

-vpk