[CentOS] [CentOS-devel] https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

J Martin Rushton

martinrushton56 at btinternet.com
Wed Dec 9 09:40:22 UTC 2020

On 09/12/2020 09:26, centos at niob.at wrote:
> On 09/12/2020 07:16, Kingsly John wrote:
>>
>> A non-paying CentOS user is not a real loss for RHEL. But people dumping
>> CentOS for a non-RHEL clone is definitely going to impact their future
>> revenues as they are losing mindshare/goodwill/easy migration etc.
>
> And worse: Without CentOS being used widely (junior) admins will have
> even less experience dealing with RHEL. This will result in lower
> quality deployments of RHEL, reducing overall security of those systems
> and it will reduce RHEL adoption, hitting RH/IBM where it hurts them most.
>
> I am seeing this in practice already with juniors - they all use Ubuntu
> on their personal systems and they hate having to deal with RHEL. And
> their opinions matter in the long run.
>

> peter

And exactly the same applies to senior (or retired) admins on their home
computers.  My main home machine runs about a dozen testbed VMs,
DHCP/DNS for the home network, Amanda, NFS and Samba for other machines,
ownCloud, Apache, Zotero and DokuWiki for the family.  I want a stable
server under that lot, not a beta release.

--
J Martin Rushton MBCS