[CentOS] [CentOS-devel] https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

Brendan Conoboy

blc at redhat.com
Wed Dec 9 19:22:50 UTC 2020

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 11:03 AM Christopher Wensink <
cwensink at five-star-plastics.com> wrote:

> Understanding the flow of packages, is it a fair comparison to say that
> moving forward:
> Fedora packages could be considered alpha/beta releases of apps
> Centos/Stream could be considered beta / Pre-release / Release
> candidates of packages / partially stable
> RHEL official releases would be considered final release / stable
>
> Where as before (done 12/2021)
> Fedora Packages would be beta / pre-release
> then RHEL and CentOS were final release / stable  - one with commercial
> support and the other with community only support.
>
> Is that accurate?

Eh, that's something of a mixture of metaphors and facts.  Let me make a
few approximate details plain.

For RHEL 8 the base inheritance went like this:
F27 -> RHEL 8 Alpha (internal)
F28 -> RHEL 8 Beta (public)
8 Beta ->  RHEL 8.0
8.0 -> RHEL 8.1

There were significant differences in kernel and of many cherry picked
patches and rebases from upstream, but that was the baseline.

For RHEL 9 it should look more like this (this is an approximation):
Rawhide (pre-F34) -> ELN -> RHEL 9 Alpha (internal)
F34 -> CentOS Stream 9 -> RHEL 9 Beta
CentOS Stream 9 -> RHEL 9.0
CentOS Stream 9 -> RHEL 9.1

Similar to 8 there will be some cherry picked patches, rebases from
upstream, etc, before things are 100% CentOS Stream, but the above is the
approximate expected flow that shows how Fedora and CentOS Stream interact
with a new major release, and the position of CentOS Stream as it relates
to RHEL.

On 12/9/2020 12:54 PM, Matthew Miller wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 09, 2020 at 09:40:22AM +0000, J Martin Rushton via CentOS
> wrote:
> >> And exactly the same applies to senior (or retired) admins on their
> >> home computers.  My main home machine runs about a dozen testbed
> >> VMs, DHCP/DNS for the home network, Amanda, NFS and Samba for other
> >> machines, ownCloud, Apache, Zotero and DokuWiki for the family.  I
> >> want a stable server under that lot, not a beta release.
> > CentOS Stream will not be a "beta release". That's not how RHEL minor
> > release development works. I personally think that it's going to be
> stellar
> > for your exact use case.
> >

> --
> Christopher Wensink
> IS Administrator
> Five Star Plastics, Inc
> 1339 Continental Drive
> Eau Claire, WI 54701
> Office:  715-831-1682
> Mobile:  715-563-3112
> Fax:  715-831-6075
> cwensink at five-star-plastics.com
> www.five-star-plastics.com

Brendan Conoboy / Linux Project Lead / Red Hat, Inc.