[CentOS] https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

Gionatan Danti

g.danti at assyoma.it
Thu Dec 10 08:58:49 UTC 2020

Il 2020-12-10 04:55 Brendan Conoboy ha scritto:
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 6:07 PM Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu> wrote:
>
>> On 12/9/20 12:10 PM, Brendan Conoboy wrote:
>> > While I'm not sure how we'll get there, it seems like the
>> > mutually satisfying end result would be one where third party binary
>> > drivers work with CentOS Stream kernels.  Let's see what we can do.
>> >
>> So, I want to address this part a bit.  In MANY cases, it's not a
>> third-party driver that ELrepo packages; it's an in-kernel driver that
>> Red Hat has decided to disable.  Such as the megaraid_sas driver I
>> need
>> for my servers.
>>

> Ah yes, that's a great call-out.  I'm not sure what the plan is there
> (or
> if there is one), but to me it seems like the sort of thing a SIG would
> build.

Brendan, can you clarify the following points?
- are you going to keep stable ABI between Stream kernel releases, or
should we expect each kernel to break 3rd party drivers/modules?
- what/how many synchronization points are going to be with RHEL
releases?
- what about security updates? Will they be released *before* the
corresponding RHEL secure patch, or should we expect the (slow) current
update cadency?
- is an upgrade path from Stream-8 to Stream-9 planned, or the usual
"total server rebuild" will be necessary?

Full disclosure: the main CentOS point was to be 100% compatible, down
to the specific kernel used, with RHEL. To get that, we lived with: a)
comparatively few packages, b) not-working yum security-only updates and
c) very restrictive selinux policies.

I am heavily invested in CentOS/RHEL ecosystem and I opened many bug
reports/enhancement requests in the past years, so I would really like
to continue using CentOS. However, using Stream seems to removing the
key selling point (ie: total RHEL compatibility) without clear benefit.

Thanks.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico