[CentOS] CentOS Stream from bottom works, what is this?

Thomas Bendler

ml at bendler-net.de
Thu Dec 10 14:19:12 UTC 2020

On Wed, Dec 9, 2020 at 7:19 PM Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:

> [...]
> In the cases where RHEL + 0.1 (note not +1) won't work, I think it's
> incredibly likely that this will be covered by the expanded low- and
> no-cost
> RHEL offerings.
>
> Part of the buried lede here is that with more RHEL accessibility, a lot of
> the function that CentOS served for users will not be necessary anymore.
> [...]

If RH plans to release a successor for CentOS 8 like RHEL 8 Free or so,
this has become a communication disaster par excellence. The announcement
with all the associated uncertainties and criticism was already picked up
by the major press. I've no clue who is in charge of RH for the
communication, but the team was quite bad in their job.

If I plan something like this I would say, listen, CentOS will be released
as Stream only in the future but the deprecated CentOS versions will be
replaced by X. Before we do this change we'll provide to you a script that
transforms your current CentOS installation into the designated successor.
I'm quite relaxed as I don't use CentOS anymore except for private stuff.
But I can fully understand those who already upgraded to C8 with the
assumption in mind that they can use CentOS for the next few years with the
expected behaviour.

Changes are part of the IT and maybe the situation won't become as dramatic
as the one or other may fear (especially if a kind of RHEL 8 Free will be
released), but the communication around this change is a perfect example
how you shouldn't do the communication.

Kind regards Thomas
--
Linux ... enjoy the ride!