[CentOS] I'm looking forward to the future of CentOS Stream

Gordon Messmer

gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 08:23:59 UTC 2020

On 12/10/20 6:28 PM, Konstantin Boyandin via CentOS wrote:
> Allow me to disagree. We both trust Chris Wright's words, don't we? CTO
> won't lie. Citing him:
>
> "To be exact, CentOS Stream is an upstream development platform for
> ecosystem developers. It will be updated several times a day.

So, like Fedora?  People run servers on Fedora now, and I think that's fine.

> This is not a production operating system."

Does he say that CentOS is a production operating system?

As far as I know, Red Hat has never endorsed running CentOS in
production, so I don't understand why it's significant that they also
don't endorse running CentOS Stream in production.

> And even if I reduce the number of CentOS Stream upgrades to
> minimal one, the base advantage of CentOS is lost: predictability.

It's really difficult for me to look at a distribution that just stops
getting updates for 4-6 weeks, twice a year, and use the word
"predictable" to describe it.

My first reaction to the announcement was pretty negative, too. But when
I stepped back and looked at the current situation *real* honestly, I
had to admit that CentOS just doesn't offer any of the things that
people are complaining about losing.

And I hope that the CentOS maintainers don't interpret that as
criticism, because it isn't intended to be.  They've always maintained
that if you need updates/patches in a timely manner, then you should be
paying Red Hat for RHEL.  I agreed with them then, and I still do.