[CentOS] I'm looking forward to the future of CentOS Stream

Alessandro Baggi

alessandro.baggi at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 10:41:09 UTC 2020

Il 11/12/20 10:24, Konstantin Boyandin via CentOS ha scritto:
> My primary objection is breach of trust. RH shouldn't have lied at least
> to CentOS community.
>
> Other bug-to-bug compatible RHEL clones will replace the CentOS, so this
> is the part I am less worried about. If someone is happy with CentOS
> Stream, that's fine. I am not, but that's (not only) my problem.

This.

Centos Stream is NOT a REPLACEMENT of CentOS, it is a different
"product" used as a rhel preview (and testing platform for next rhel
releases [minor/major]). This is a simple direction change for a
corporation. I accept this without any problem, they have not any legal
duty with CentOS community. Ethically, wow...they should ask itself WTF
did they done. But no problem..many of us have imagined this since IBM
ops (also if this is a centos board decision), today it is reality.
Really there is nothing new for me (This is why I started to find
alternatives for my case usage since 8 was released waiting the switch
to see if direction was good)

The days you install CentOS as server distro for stability and
compatibility are gone. I always used centos and not rhel because I
don't need support. I don't need CentOS Stream so  I will not use it.
CentOS 8, with its all defects, was enough for me and I think I will not
use rhel until forced. So for me (and many) there is not an alternative
then to change ship and switch to Debian/Ubuntu LTS that are not bad
systems. Intended, there are other alternatives like SUSE/OpenSUSE, OL
and other...

I read many times that Debian/Ubuntu LTS are not centos/rhel, this is
true (they are different products) but please, stop saying this, them
are not shitty distro..but when I read that many users use fedora as
server distro I laugh.

I'm not in enterprise so I don't need this type of "support" and can
change the distro without any problem but I will stay away from
CentOS/RH products due to 0 trust in them.

For the past years, for CentOS 6,7 and 8 thank you Johnny, Rich and all
other maintainers. You did a great job.