[CentOS] Announcing Open-sourced & Community-Driven RHEL Fork by CloudLinux

Simon Matter

simon.matter at invoca.ch
Fri Dec 11 17:56:40 UTC 2020

> On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 2:07 PM Nicolas Kovacs <info at microlinux.fr> wrote:
>
>> Le 11/12/2020 à 17:14, Phelps, Matthew a écrit :
>> > My gut feeling is Oracle doesn't see Oracle Linux as a money maker,
>> apart
>> > from getting some support contracts from it, so they'll leave it be
>> for a
>> > while.
>>
>> I've just had a conversation with one of the Oracle Linux guys. I can't
>> really
>> quote him publicly, but since I've already had some good experiences
>> with
>> OL
>> ten years ago (when I installed the local motorway company's servers), I
>> guess
>> I'll just adopt a pragmatic approach and gradually move my servers to
>> Oracle
>> Linux.

I may also do the same thing and did a test install of OL8 and compared it
to CentOS 8. OL really looks nice and as expected very similar to CentOS.
Someone mentioned that KVM is a paid feature but I don't think that's
really the case, does someone know more?

Two things to mention are:
- The Oracle EPEL seems not fully up to date.
- DNF shows a weird behavior: 'dnf check-upgrade' shows .src packages
which is something I've never seen before. Any ideas why?

I've already updates our package monitoring to filter out .src pckages.

Apart from that I've tested most packages of our inhouse repo and didn't
see any issues.

That said, I'd really like to jump directly to RockyLinux but that's
something for the long run, not for today.

Simon