[CentOS] The conclusio: CentOS is dead

Matthew Miller

mattdm at mattdm.org
Fri Dec 11 22:25:19 UTC 2020

On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 07:50:00PM +0100, Walter H. wrote:
> it is called "rolling release" and no one gave officially a
> statement to the question I asked,

It should not have been called a rolling release. It is not a rolling
release in the sense that many Linux distributions use it.

> if it is meant like that of Win10 ...

I don't know what that means. No. It will not be like Win 10 in pretty much
every way.

> a beta release is not the same that many expect as a stable system,
> as they are used to have with CentOS;

It is not a beta release.

> you should think of renaming CentOS to something different, because
> with Enterprise this CentOS Stream has nothing in common;

Maybe. But I think it has more in common than you think

> and does Redhat really expect everone - even private people - afford
> a RHEL subscription¹ just to have a stable system?

No. In many cases, CentOS Stream will provide a stable system for the needs
of individuals. In many other cases, upcoming low- and no-cost RHEL programs
will address many of these needs. As an individual, you can already get RHEL
with no cost through the Developer Program, although it isn't as easy as it
could be and usage is limited. The upcoming plans are intended to address
those problems. It's unfortunate that the timing is such that those aren't
anything but future promises at this point, but they are coming. See
https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/faq-centos-stream-updates#Q10 and email
centos-questions at redhat.com with your specific needs. That address goes to
real people who are working on these programs, not sales or anything like
that.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>