[CentOS] CentOS 8 future

Konstantin Boyandin

lists at boyandin.info
Sun Dec 13 03:34:27 UTC 2020

On 13.12.2020 03:50, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> On 12/12/20 4:43 PM, Leon Fauster via CentOS wrote:

>> What about the small businesses that in this times suffer very much,
>> being forced to pay licenses will kill them ... I have a client that
>> moved from IBMCloud/RedHat to AWS/CentOS to survive this times.
>> (BTW: I suggest initially to use RHEL!) What do imagine who will be
>> killed when they receive the message that they should plan some budgets
>> for new licenses ...
>
> Hi.
> Springdale Linux, RHEL clone already exists. Rocky Linux clone is in
> preparation, and CloudLinux plans to publish RHEL clone also.
> And notice that CentOS Linux 7 will be supported until EOL in 2024 and
> there will still be support for CentOS Linux 8 for next 12 months,
> enough to chose your exit strategy smartly and without emotions.

Which brings further thoughts. I was creating replacements for CentOS 6
based systems, obviously beginning with CentOS 8.

CentOS 7 looks less clumsy than CentOS 8, but it only receives
maintenance updates now. Still 4 years ahead look better than one year
with CentOS 8.

My only concern ATM is whether RH can change its CentOS 7 maintenance
plans as well, all of a sudden.

(if I change Linux distribution later to another RHEL clone, it most
probably would mean complete re-install anyway)

"Choose now, Neo!"

--
Sincerely,

Konstantin Boyandin
system administrator (ProWide Labs Ltd. - IPHost Network Monitor)