[CentOS] I'm looking forward to the future of CentOS Stream

Nikolaos Milas

nmilas at noa.gr
Sun Dec 13 10:05:58 UTC 2020

On 13/12/2020 6:48 π.μ., Gordon Messmer wrote:

> Red Hat is giving us the thing that has been requested more often, by
> more people, than any other change in CentOS, and the result is that
> the press is full of stories about users being angry, because five
> people on the mailing lists sent a lot of messages.  (About half of
> the traffic in the threads on centos and centos-devel comes from five
> people, and various people replying to them.)

Not really. I am afraid you are missing the point. Also see: 7500
sysadmins and growing are already explicitly rejecting the change.

> ...but speaking as a developer...

That's the problem: you are speaking as a developer, not as a sysadmin.
CentOS is clearly for sysadmins, not for developers.

On 13/12/2020 10:22 π.μ., Nicolas Kovacs wrote:

> For the last 16 years, the explicit scope of the CentOS project has
> been to
> rebuild RHEL "bug by bug". No more no less. A fact that has been stressed
> repeatedly by the maintainers on this list. So admins all over the world
> trusted this.
>
> Words do have a meaning.

+1

And what is worse: RH are pushing their users to their competitors
(read: OL).

RH are pulling their own eyes out... It's a shame.

And all that because they decided to stop supporting a quite extensive
worldwide amount of orgs and sysadmins who need a safe and dependable
production OS that does not cost a fortune, although many of those at
some point in time might become RH support customers!

Now RH earned discontent and distrust from a large part of their FOSS
community.

Such a sad end for CentOS... (In fact it is an end indeed.)

OL, Rocky Linux (when fully established) and other such projects
(mentioned in various threads) will gain large parts of this extensive
group. Some many end up in using CentOS Stream, but the core part of
this vibrant community will probably lost by RH and the good old CentOS
group (now in RH). Time will show.

That's a pity, because a large and conscious part of this community
indeed has some affinity to Karanbir et al, greatly respecting their
history and efforts...

RH (& CentOS) still has some small window of opportunity to announce
full support of CentOS 8 to its EOL.

Cheers,
Nick