[CentOS] The conclusio: CentOS is dead

R C

cjvijf at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 07:38:41 UTC 2020

It is not that we haven't been here before, this is just history
repeating itself.

IBM, SCO, Sun, Novell, etc. majorly have screwed up because of some
geniuses having a great business idea.

(that's how BSD disappeared, Solaris was a disaster, Xenix never made
it..  and whatever happened to SCO etc?)

But here is the point, RHEL for example is used at scale a lot now,
because there are people that know how to deal with it (far and few
beyond) ....   and the ones I know use Centos for their own stuff (at
home) because it is so similar. It is already a problem to find
qualified people that can use/deal with RHEL in a production environment
at scale (if you know what you're doing, you easily can get a cosy 6
figure job, because it's next to impossible to find a decent sys person
with experience, for sure not for at scale operations) , and those are
not going to pay hundreds/thousands for a RHEL license at home, that is
why they use Centos, while at work working with RHEL.

I am in that situation, I request 5-6 figures worth of RHEL licenses on
a regular basis, and use several Centos machines at homes (yeah I am
that guy that doesn't have a life and my 'hobby' is kinda like my work.)
It will be a very freaking cold day in hell before I start paying
thousands to have virtually 'the same thing' at home as at work.

If a few months down the road, if I decide to use Linus XYZ, or
whatever, than that is what we'll be using where I get my pay check from
...  and if not, well, good luck finding someone that can keep things
running there. Because that is what it comes down to.  It is not the
product that determines what the "industry standard" is..   it is the
ones that have experience and can actually make stuff work.

I think Centos is dead because RHEL just committed suicide.

Ron