[CentOS] CentOS 8 future

Patrick Bégou

Patrick.Begou at legi.grenoble-inp.fr
Tue Dec 15 08:17:28 UTC 2020

I'm also using CentOS for a while and I'm deploying a CentOS8 cluster
for some months.... because it was supported until 2029! Bad idea.
For me, using debian has 2 important drawbacks
- some of proprietary software we are using is certified RHEL and SLES.
Deploying on CentOS is out-of-thebox. Deploying on debian (we have also
debian servers) is often a nightmare and some functionalities still
doesn't work (and support reply "debian is not supported"). We have no
alternative for these softwares.
- hardware support for servers rely also on some certifications and they
are mainly for RHEL or SLES (or Unbutu but for laptops, not servers) and
in case of trouble the support has yet answered "please use a certified
os". Centos is considered as RHEL by the support. Not sure that with
stream it will be the same.

Patrick