[CentOS] CentOS 8 future

R C

cjvijf at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 17:44:17 UTC 2020

On 12/15/20 10:30 AM, Phelps, Matthew wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 12:24 PM Tom Bishop <bishoptf at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Dec 15, 2020, 11:06 AM Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org> wrote:
>>

>>> I don't think there will be a course change either, but for different
>>> reasons. The motivation isn't "cashing/selling out". It's... actually the
>>> stated motivation
>>> https://www.redhat.com/en/blog/faq-centos-stream-updates#Q2
>>>

>>> --
>>> Matthew Miller
>>> <mattdm at fedoraproject.org>
>>> Fedora Project Leader
>>
>> I know you and other RHEL folks keep saying this about cashing out etc, but
>> they could have kept stream and Centos stable at the same time but chose
>> not to. Ya know, if it walks like a duck and quacks as a duck...who knows
>> maybe this goes down as one of the best decisions ever for RH but I think
>> its going to hurt them in more ways then they ever thought about.
>>
> Not to mention the constant barrage of "You just want free Red Hat" and
> "CentOS users are moochers" and "We deserve value from all those CentOS
> users, so we're going to turn them into beta testers for RHEL." I have
> gotten these responses here and on twitter from CentOS and Red Hat
> employees.

Yup, a lot of "Centos Users" are the ones running and building for RHEL
infrastructure, there's a lot more in it for IBM to take over RHEL than
there is to take over Ubuntu, mint or build something new. The thought
more than likely is "an established market is already out there".

I don't think that IBM is in the business of "Hey let's do something
really nice, because we don't really need/want the money"