[CentOS] CentOS 8 future

Matthew Miller

mattdm at mattdm.org
Tue Dec 15 18:07:24 UTC 2020

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 11:24:03AM -0600, Tom Bishop wrote:
> I know you and other RHEL folks keep saying this about cashing out etc, but
> they could have kept stream and Centos stable at the same time but chose
> not to. Ya know, if it walks like a duck and quacks as a duck...who knows
> maybe this goes down as one of the best decisions ever for RH but I think
> its going to hurt them in more ways then they ever thought about.

As I've also said before, I have no special insight into how RH and the
CentOS board came to this timeline, but I _am_ inclined to believe that the
motivation is the one that they give: they want to focus attention and
resources. Look at CloudLinux saying that they plan to invest a million
dollars a year into doing their rebuild. It's easy to _say_ "Red Hat could
easily have done both".

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>