[CentOS] What are the differences between CentOS Linux and CentOS Stream?

R C

cjvijf at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 18:24:01 UTC 2020

On 12/15/20 11:15 AM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> On 12/15/20 5:58 PM, R C wrote:
>> When was the last time a large company (think IBM, Sun, Novell Netware,
>> Oracle) had a great idea to create or take over an OS, or a community
>> only ending up in a situation that only almost killed them. (Yeah MS,
>> but they figured out that giving it away for next to nothing for
>> residential/educational use is actually securing their market share in
>> commercial/government/Education etc etc etc.)
> 10-15 years ago BSA sued a person using pirated Windows (and Office?) at
> home. Microsoft representative was a witness AGAINST BSA, so that there
> is no precedent that private users of pirated software can be sued,
> because out of fear majority of those using pirated software would stop
> installing and using MS software and they would recommend software of
> competition (free if possible).
>
> If MS did not "fail to implement" effective protection from pirating
> Windows and Office, their market share would be at least halved, and in
> countries with low income they would barely exist.

What I meant was that MS basically, for the longest while, had their OS
pre-installed on computers sold, so it "felt" free to the buyer, it came
with the machine. Universities and colleges did receive bulk licenses
and .NET pretty much for free in their 'Developer Programs' and also
have students keep using it. That "faillure to implement" obviously was
a marketing move indeed, as was students "allowing" to keep using it on
their laptops after graduation.