[CentOS] Questions about Stream

Andrey

ya at penek.org
Thu Dec 17 12:26:50 UTC 2020

OK, we realized that the changes are final, and must somehow deal with
it. Before making final decisions we need some answers.

1. What about bugs and security issues? The FAQ says: "Security issues
will be updated in CentOS Stream after they are solved in the current
RHEL release."

Consider the scenario: a bug or security issue found in both Stream and
current RHEL. It was fixed in RHEL in a few days. How fast it will be
fixed in Stream? Obviously, it needs some time to port the fix to newer
version of package. Days or months?

Another scenario: a bug or security issue found in Stream but NOT in
current RHEL. How fast it will be fixed in Stream? In a few days or in
next RHEL release (up to 6 months)?

2. What to do in 2024, when Stream 8 is EOL. Perform full reinstall of
all servers to Stream 9? Or there will be some kind of major version
upgrade?

A note about hardware: we don't know now what drivers will be dropped
from RHEL and Stream 9. Bad news for server owners: in 2024 they may be
forced to upgrade hardware or move to RHEL 8 because of its longer
lifecycle.