[CentOS] CentOS 8 future

Leon Fauster

leonfauster at googlemail.com
Fri Dec 18 18:46:06 UTC 2020

Am 18.12.20 um 19:14 schrieb Matthew Miller:
>>> Has Chris Wright ever recommended CentOS for any purpose other than
>>> development and testing?
>> Will a Red Hat CTO, in his right mind, ever recommend a free clone of
>> RHEL for any purpose other than  development and testing?
>
> Right... he's not "lying", he just has a different audience.
>
> Red Hat has definitely never ever said in any official way that CentOS Linux
> is acceptable for production uses. And that's not going to change with
> CentOS Stream.
>
> You should see people's heads spin around like a scene from a horror movie
> when I suggest that people actually do run Fedora operating systems in
> production!

In the different threads here in the list - I noticed that everyone
(not all in quantity) has a different definition of production and
development "classification". For instance RH: Their devel license
talks about not to use it for production. I am still unsure where
the border for that are? Running a workstation and "producing" output
that have value for me is a production system. As also a fly radar
HA cluster running 24/7 is a production system. Anyway, lets see
what Q1 2021 will bring ...

--
Leon