[CentOS] CentOS 8 future

Johnny Hughes

johnny at centos.org
Wed Dec 23 15:51:45 UTC 2020

On 12/18/20 3:04 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> On 12/18/20 9:20 PM, Joshua Kramer wrote:
>> Suppose it is June of 2022 and I have been collecting and archiving
>> all of the various versions of packages that are coming out for CentOS
>> Stream.  Then, maybe RHEL 8.7 is finalized and hits the mirrors.  I
>> can analyze the versions of packages that landed in RHEL 8.7.  Then I
>> can grab those versions from my archive and tag them "8.7".  I could
>> configure my repositories appropriately and build some ISO images.  Of
>> course, I couldn't call that "CentOS 8.7" because RedHat has
>> prohibited that.  But still I could release ISO's of "Enterprise
>> Respin 8.7".  That is the easy problem to overcome.
>
> Every package in CentOS stream will be signed with CentOS keys, and
> CentOS is now trademark of Red Hat. Are you sure it would be legal to
> publish/distribute CentOS-signed packages under any other name?
>
> CentOS and other clones were legaly "safe" because they distributed
> their own binaries, but could bot use any RHEL's binaries...

We are not "sure" .. but SIG content is also signed with CentOS
certified keys.  My hope is we can have a SIG to follow on Stream
content at some point.

Whether we will be able to or not, 5 years of lifetime with a 2 year
overlap with the next version of Stream is still enough time for the
majority of users. It is certainly similar to non payed Ubuntu or Debian
(for example)