[CentOS] Disk choice for workstation ?

Sat Dec 26 20:20:49 UTC 2020
Nicolas Kovacs <info at microlinux.fr>

Hi,

My workstation is currently equipped with a pair of Western Digital Red 1 TB
SATA disks in a software RAID 1 setup.

Some stuff like working with virtual machines is a bit slow, so I'm thinking
about replacing the disks by SSD.

I'm hesitating between three different setups:

1) Use a relatively small SSD (120 to 240 GB) to reinstall the system on it.
Keep the two SATA disks in a RAID 1 array and mount /home on it.

2) Use a larger SSD (500 GB to 1 TB), install everything (including /home) on
it. Keep the two SATA disks in a RAID 1 array and mount them on /data for storage.

3) Get rid of the disks and go full SSD, with a 1 TB disk.

Any advice from the hardware gurus on this list?

Cheers,

Niki
7, place de l'église - 30730 Montpezat
Site : https://www.microlinux.fr