[CentOS] Disk choice for workstation ?

Scott Robbins

scottro11 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 00:18:03 UTC 2020

On Sat, Dec 26, 2020 at 05:52:48PM -0600, Valeri Galtsev wrote:

> On 12/26/2020 5:10 PM, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
> > Le 26/12/2020 à 21:58, Mark Woolfson a écrit :
> > > Don't go for super cheap SSD's as the write threshold will be low. I would
> > > look at Samsung for SSD's for performance or Kioxia (Toshiba) SSD's for
> > > price. As regards the carrier I would look at Sonnet or Highpoint. Bear in
> > > mind that the commercial sweet spot for SSD's is 1 or 2 TByte.
> > Thanks everybody for your feedback.
> >
> > Is there any data available regarding reliability of SATA vs. SSD ?

I do know that one of our clients (datacenter) was constantly having
failures with OCZ. They replaced them with Samsungs and had far better
reliability. I don't know if OCZ still has issues, for our own, we use
Samsung and they've been pretty good, but they do seem to fail more than
our spinning drives. However, that makes it sound worse than it is, it's
maybe one or two drive failures a year.

For my own personal use, as I have little money, I use Crucial, but that's
for some towers that just get home use, the FreeBSD one using ZFS, and
they've been fine, but that's been home use. So, for the moment, I would
just echo Valeri and say Samsung is the one that my company and I have seen
to be the longest lasting.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6