[CentOS] ContOS 8 is dead. Viva Rocky Linux!

Thu Dec 10 02:38:36 UTC 2020
Lists <lists at benjamindsmith.com>

The list is swamped with news about CentOS 8 dying in a year and becoming
stream Linux.

IWeve been here before, folks. I remember when Red Hat Linux disappeared to
become the Feodra / Red Hat Enterprise we know today, which gave birth to
White Box Enterprise Linux, Scientific Linux, and CentOS.

WBEL and SL slowly faded and CentOS won out.

And then CentOS, eventually folding into RedHat, promised everyone that it had
the support of Red Hat - now part of IBM.

Well, now we're back to the big announcement: Red Hat (IBM) is going to mix it
up again.

And now, as before, come the clones: Rocky Linux has been announced...
https://www.reddit.com/r/RockyLinux/comments/ka0qlv/
meet_rocky_linux_new_rhel_fork_by_the_original/

If history is any guide, you'll change a line somewhere in /etc/yum.d and then
run yum update to switch over. That's how I switched from WBEL to SL to
CentOS, way back in CentOS 3 or 4 days. (I don't even remember which one
anymore)

The more things change, the more they stay exactly the same...

Ben