[CentOS] https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

Tue Dec 8 20:01:23 UTC 2020
centos at niob.at <centos at niob.at>

On 08/12/2020 15:48, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 12/8/20 8:35 AM, Bill Gee wrote:
>> Aside from the the latest shiny - what are the advantages of CentOS 8 Stream?  What are the benefits?
>>
>> I read through the announcement and FAQ, but they do not address that question.  Is it just a name change?  Is it an attempt to put CentOS on a subscription model?
>>
> Stream is the RHEL sorce code for rhel + 0.1 .. so durng the 8.3 rhel
> cycle, stream will be rhel 8.4 source code.
>
> It is not very far ahead of the current code.  It is indeed the code you
> will get in 6 months.  It is not 'new shiny' .. it is newer enterprise.
>
> What are the benefits:
>
> 1)  Many people (like Intel and Facebook) are providing feedback in real
> time.  So can any user.  They should have in place, before RHEL 9
> development starts, the ability to accept public community pull requests
> into stream.
>
> 2)  This code is still RHEL source code .. it is just not released in
> rhel yet.  Almost all of it will be released in the upcoming RHEL point
> release.
>
> 3)  Most bugs will get fixed faster, if the code is pulled into stream.
>   Many times you don't get the fix until the next point release .. and
> this will be what stream is.

You are putting lipstick on a pig. Let's face it: This is IBM pulling
the plug on CentOS.

Not a single one of those "benefits" will benefit *me*. I am a private
user hosting his own machines with CentOS for stability but using RHEL
for work. I do not have the money to pay for RHEL. But I do contribute
to open-source projects, some of which are part of RHEL.

I'm pretty sure IBM is behind this: They still do not like the
open-source model. They only like money.

After 20 years of running and advocating for Redhat based Distros
(Fedora on workstations, CentOS on servers) I night have to jump ship
(if somebody is going to clone "classic" CentOS to keep tracing RHEL I
might reconsider). Debian or Ubuntu: here I come. I will also no longer
advocate for RHEL in the workplace where we used CentOS for
non-production machines and RHEL for production.

Thanks for the hard work you put into CentOS over the years. Sorry to
hear that it now turns out to have been wasted.

peter