[CentOS] https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

Tue Dec 8 21:30:28 UTC 2020
Leon Fauster <leonfauster at googlemail.com>

Am 08.12.20 um 21:56 schrieb Johnny Hughes:
> On 12/8/20 1:04 PM, Paul Heinlein wrote:
>> On Tue, 8 Dec 2020, Rich Bowen wrote:
>>
>>> The future of the CentOS Project is CentOS Stream, and over the next
>>> year we’ll be shifting focus from CentOS Linux, the rebuild of Red Hat
>>> Enterprise Linux (RHEL), to CentOS Stream, which tracks just ahead of
>>> a current RHEL release. CentOS Linux 8, as a rebuild of RHEL 8, will
>>> end at the end of 2021. CentOS Stream continues after that date,
>>> serving as the upstream (development) branch of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
>>
>> I suppose I understand the negative feedback -- CentOS 8.x will no
>> longer be a rebuild of RHEL 8.x but will instead be some version of RHEL
>> 8.(x + 1) -- but I'm much more interested in empirical results than in
>> suppositions. I've taken a couple test VMs and set them to CentOS 8
>> Stream and will keep an eye on them. They will either prove stable or
>> not, but (observation > guessing) in my book.
>>
>> If history is any guide, they will prove very stable. If not, then I'll
>> pour one out for CentOS and look elsewhere.
>>

> Which is the approach I recommend everyone take.
>
> And, it will likely be sometime mid to late 1st quarter 2021 before
> CentOS Stream is in its 'Fully Functional' state with community pull
> requests and the RHEL package maintainer doing all the work in CentOS
> Stream, etc .  CentOS Linux 8 will still be available and updated until
> the end of December 2021.

FAQ:"Updates for the CentOS Stream 8 distribution continue through the
full RHEL support phase."

What does this "full" exactly means? Will C8S be "closed" in May 31,
2024 [*] but RHEL8 still supported through Maintenance support mode
until 2029?

* https://access.redhat.com/support/policy/updates/errata/#Life_Cycle_Dates

--
Leon