[CentOS] https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

Tue Dec 8 21:50:30 UTC 2020
DHilsbos at performair.com <DHilsbos at performair.com>

Paul;

How do you intend to test, and measure stability?

I'm not trying to be contrary, or facetious, I'm looking to learn something in this situation.

Thank you,

Dominic L. Hilsbos, MBA
Director – Information Technology
Perform Air International Inc.
DHilsbos at PerformAir.com
www.PerformAir.com

-----Original Message-----
From: CentOS [mailto:centos-bounces at centos.org] On Behalf Of Paul Heinlein
Sent: Tuesday, December 8, 2020 12:05 PM
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: Re: [CentOS] https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

On Tue, 8 Dec 2020, Rich Bowen wrote:

> The future of the CentOS Project is CentOS Stream, and over the next year
> we’ll be shifting focus from CentOS Linux, the rebuild of Red Hat Enterprise
> Linux (RHEL), to CentOS Stream, which tracks just ahead of a current RHEL
> release. CentOS Linux 8, as a rebuild of RHEL 8, will end at the end of 2021.
> CentOS Stream continues after that date, serving as the upstream
> (development) branch of Red Hat Enterprise Linux.

I suppose I understand the negative feedback -- CentOS 8.x will no
longer be a rebuild of RHEL 8.x but will instead be some version of
RHEL 8.(x + 1) -- but I'm much more interested in empirical results
than in suppositions. I've taken a couple test VMs and set them to
CentOS 8 Stream and will keep an eye on them. They will either prove
stable or not, but (observation > guessing) in my book.

If history is any guide, they will prove very stable. If not, then
I'll pour one out for CentOS and look elsewhere.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein at madboa.com
45°38' N, 122°6' W