[CentOS] [CentOS-devel] https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

Wed Dec 9 09:46:10 UTC 2020
Andrea Biscuola <andrea.biscuola at host.it>

On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 14:40:19 +0000
"Laack, Andrea P" <Andrea.Laack at BSWHealth.org> wrote:

> We would also have to spend an extraordinary amount of work moving off CentOS.  We currently run it on production servers and would no longer be able to run it if it was beta.
> This will affect thousands of CentOS business users who use it because it is stable and not a beta.

IMHO, if you based the most critical part of your infrastructure on CentOS,  you did it
wrong.

The CentOS project doesn't owe you anything for any reason. It's completely your
responsibility to support CentOS in your working environment and you have no right
to pretend, for the developers, to mantain any commitment whatsoever to the project.

We use CentOS on almost all of our hosting machines at the company I work for, and
I'm not that afraid of this announcement. We will start to test the stream branch soon,
to see if it continue to fullfil our needs with a good enough stability and, maybe, take
a decision during the next year if we want to continue with CentOS or not.

We also just switched to CentOS 8 from CentOS 6 spending around 6 months of work
in doing so, but the most important part of our infrastructure is on paid RHEL
licenses (i.e. hypervisors).

CentOS was _always_ a best effort project done on a volunteer basis, if it was stable
enough to build a company on top of it, good! But always remember that, in the end,
you are getting what you paid for.