[CentOS] Announcing Open-sourced & Community-Driven RHEL Fork by CloudLinux

Fri Dec 11 12:48:25 UTC 2020
Scott Robbins <scottro11 at gmail.com>

On Fri, Dec 11, 2020 at 12:21:35PM +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Dec, 2020 at 13:12:26 -0600, Tom Bishop wrote:
> > +1
> > Looks like between Springdale, Rocky and CloudLinux there will be options.
> > Such a bad decision that RH made to do this...
>
> True. I just hope that the various alternatives will pool their resources. History has shown that RHEL derivatives require a lot of effort to maintain. It would be a shame to dissipate that effort among a number of competing distros.

One problem has been that RedHat, when they see a clone is successful, will
tend to hire the lead developer. This is what happened to Scientific Linux,
back when CentOS was late with a release (one of the head developers had
the temerity to get married around that time and somehow, that took some of
his time).  Scientific Linux was gaining popularity and RH hired their head
developer. This was before RH was bought by IBM.

One assumes however, that this wouldn't happen with OEL, though one never
knows.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6