[CentOS] I'm looking forward to the future of CentOS Stream

Fri Dec 11 17:33:38 UTC 2020
Kay Schenk <kay.schenk at gmail.com>

On 12/11/20 12:23 AM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 12/10/20 6:28 PM, Konstantin Boyandin via CentOS wrote:
>> Allow me to disagree. We both trust Chris Wright's words, don't we? CTO
>> won't lie. Citing him:
>>
>> "To be exact, CentOS Stream is an upstream development platform for
>> ecosystem developers. It will be updated several times a day.
>
> So, like Fedora?  People run servers on Fedora now, and I think that's
> fine.
>
>> This is not a production operating system."
>

> Does he say that CentOS is a production operating system?
>
> As far as I know, Red Hat has never endorsed running CentOS in
> production, so I don't understand why it's significant that they also
> don't endorse running CentOS Stream in production.

I'm happy you made this point. Yes, CentOS is asssumed to be as
"stable"  as the release it's based on, but there are changes.

I think it's good to keep this in mind and consider an actual RH license
if 100% stability and compatibility are the goals.