[CentOS] CentOS 8 future

Sat Dec 12 20:09:36 UTC 2020
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On 12/11/20 9:51 PM, Yves Bellefeuille wrote:
> I'm most disappointed with the silence from Karanbir and friends.
> Obviously their Red Hat salary is more important to them than keeping
> CentOS the way it was. :-(
This boggles the mind.  OF COURSE their salary should realistically be
more important to them than keeping CentOS the way it was; how strong of
a disagreement with your employer is your salary worth?

However, reading between the lines, with Red Hat's internal developers
directly working with CentOS Stream beginning 1Q 2021, and CentOS 7
ending support in 2024, I have to wonder a little what the long-term
employment of those building CentOS looks like, specifically post-CentOS
7 EOL.  Of course, it's not really any of my business, to be honest, but
the CentOS developers are all very bright and highly skilled, so they
are very employable, whether at Red Hat or elsewhere.

Given what's already been posted to the lists, it seems to me that the
CentOS Board was able to obtain some concessions; I will likely never
know what those were, nor is it really any of my business what they
were, but I thank the CentOS Board for doing what they could.

And I thank all those who have built and continue to build CentOS; I've
had a relatively small exposure to what building and distributing
packages is like, a few years back (well, 1999 to 2004), and
user-entitlement-syndrome is part of the reason I won't do that any more
(my wife's health was the primary reason I stopped, though; priorities
are priorities!).