[CentOS] Oracle Linux - oracle-epel vs epel - dnf priority

Mon Dec 14 19:50:59 UTC 2020
Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com>

On Mon, 14 Dec 2020 at 14:27, Nicolas Kovacs <info at microlinux.fr> wrote:

> Le 14/12/2020 à 19:41, Frank Cox a écrit :
> > For those of us who are considering moving to Oracle Linux (or at least
> > doing some experimenting with it), I just had an idea for dealing with
> the
> > fact that the oracle-el-epel apparently doesn't have all of the packages
> > that are in the fedora-el-epel that we all know and love.
>
> The Yum Priorities plugin (package yum-plugin-priorities) would be nice to
> have, but unfortunately it seems to have disappeared. I've used this quite
> extensively over the last decade. Whenever I have to use a third-party repo
> that's a potential threat to the official repos, I'm setting it up with
> priority=10 or something just to be on the safe side.
>
> This has always worked like a charm.

Like all system administration, there are a lot of corner cases which come
up when you have nearly the same repositories. It was nearly a daily
occurence in #epel and #centos-devel of someone, somewhere having a problem
with DAG and EPEL even with the appropriate priorities. The more overlap of
the package sets, the more likely something would break in a way you only
found 2 to 3 days after you updated.

There is also a level of system administration skill to make it work
seamlessly which we forget. Most of the people running into issues were
people who had followed someone else's advice in an irc or mailing list but
did not really understand what priorities or similar tools did. People who
do know tend to also have test systems and roll out methodologies which are
second nature versus 'yum -y update' cron jobs on a fleet of systems.