[CentOS] The conclusio: CentOS is dead

Mon Dec 14 22:47:38 UTC 2020
Ruslanas Gžibovskis <ruslanas at lpic.lt>

if it is currently changed over the night...
How can you be sure that the CentOS8 stream will not be dropped tomorrow?
How about CentOS9, CentOS10, CentOS Core?!
How can you be sure that what was "promised" will not be canceled in one
second?
I think most of the derivatives will be dead with one or two releases, like
was with Debian, such as Devuan, never got a new version...

In general, I would blame "DevOps" mindset! That might have played the bad
thing here and forced all to this decision.

Maybe RH wanted something like Debian GNU/Linux Testing/stable concept (in
some cases TESTING more stable than prod, as it had the possibility to have
a newer major version with rewritten codebase)?

In either way, RH showed, that after IBM have got them, IBM KPI's forced RH
to do some moves which we never ever were expecting to happen before IBM RH.
Maybe even a first thing that could be a sign, changing Logo into a
"simple" one...

What is left now to treat as trust worthful OS? My decision would be to bet
on:
 * Debian (biggest arch and package selection, which is quite up to date,
and can easily upgrade from 2 to 10, yeah, of course, you will need to do
some mambo jumbo), You can find some things like parrotOS, previous
backtrack and much more in there, so just ADD repo, and download package
what you miss in debian repos. And a shame thing, bubuntu is based on deb,
so, same here, just add missing repos from bubuntu for particular package
(but I have never ever seen such case, when bubuntu had smth needful, what
debian didn't.
 * OpenBSD (very very very clear way forward, very openminded OS, but at
the same time SEC on a first place!), already has vmd, written with a clean
codebase, looks very promissing replacement for kvm in general usages.
 * FreeBSD, AnyOtherBSD BSD, you know... LOTS of appliances work on it! Has
ZFS support... behyve...
 * Arch or Gentoo? Why not LFS then? But both have quite good support and
showed themselfs.

your suggestions?