[CentOS] Is Oracle a real alternative to Centos?

Tue Dec 15 16:04:12 UTC 2020
Ruslanas Gžibovskis <ruslanas at lpic.lt>

I think Peter have already spent some time and read around agreement and so
on. So the price is understandable. And really, everyone need to keep in
mind that anyone can change their licence any time.

If You ask personally me, Matti, I do not see point using oracleLinux if
can use Rocky/fedora out of cost. Same as I do not see any point in using
any derivative of Debian if you just can add additional repo and install
missing package...

CentOS was free of charge RedHat Flag. And now their banner/flag do not
look so trustful in free area... I still would trust paid version,
especially when there is no-cost licence. Also you can connect to RH sales
and get real goood discounts. If you are a small business in small country.

But free flag is in uncertain situation.

And I have been working with UBK or how is shortened their unbreakable
kernel... No good ;)) we managed to break it ;)) and recover DB.

If you really want you always can just look at config file how kernel is
made and rebuild it with your additions or exactly same in exact same
place. Also take additional blobs and place them where you need... if
needed. But you need to understand if that all you really need? Maybe you
just need to shorten tcp.fin_wait to 1 sec ;) and it will work as a charm
even with 2.6.18... with all unneeded options off, such as kernel modules,
usb, sata123...

You just need to:
su -c 'echo "1" > /proc/enable/brain'

Without this module either OS will work.

And choosing OS is like choosing your partner, you need to understand, for
how long you have same path and why your partner did that move, did partner
prepared all that you would have all cases covered with new WoW...

Thanks