[CentOS] What are the differences between CentOS Linux and CentOS Stream?

Tue Dec 15 16:58:04 UTC 2020
R C <cjvijf at gmail.com>

On 12/15/20 9:20 AM, Kevin K wrote:
> As a bystander who just the other day saw this, no.  It doesn't appear that
> it will be a bleeding edge kernel.  Just builds of the next kernel expected
> to be in the next 8.X release.  So you are getting updated features
> earlier, but maybe before all the known issues are resolved to a state
> ready to be released in the main RH build.
>
> For my work use of Red Hat, this all doesn't matter.  We license and pay
> for many copies of RHEL.  It is only for home use that I've historically
> used CentOS.  And even then I can get a personal license of RHEL.

I totally agree with that. I think that most of RedHat's success is
because of 'open' Linux in general, and especially Centos in the last
decade or however long it has been around.

What large companies don't seem to understand (except for a few) is that
what is used in the workplace is what people that run that stuff know,
and most of those are people that started with that as HS kids, or they
have a degree in something unrelated, often an "online/make up degree.
That might sound mean/bad, but that is the work force you have, that is
what they use, so that is what companies/organizations/institutions will
use, always been like that, will be like that for the foreseeable future.

Most of what runs companies/institutions  "IT stuff" have a few machines
at home, I know enough sysadmins that have the previous model Dell
servers, or the model before that, some EOL Cisco equipment, that is
what they know very well to use, so that is what companies will be using
too, including their choice of OS and software.

RHEL and Centos disappearing migh be a problem in the short term, a year
or 2/3/4, but hey,  it only takes one hardware life cycle before a new
badge of HS kids and college drop outs figured out what to use next (for
free).

When was the last time a large company (think IBM, Sun, Novell Netware,
Oracle) had a great idea to create or take over an OS, or a community
only ending up in a situation that only almost killed them. (Yeah MS,
but they figured out that giving it away for next to nothing for
residential/educational use is actually securing their market share in
commercial/government/Education etc etc etc.)

The only times something became really popular, and useful for "the
industry" is when it is was for free for personal use (or was included
with the hardware, there are/were countless examples), because that is
what the people working in it, programmers, sysadmins etc., do, use the
free stuff ..   take it to work, get promotions and a raises for their
good ideas. In fact, that is how Linux/Redhat became a success to begin
with.

Personal licenses, sure,  but what IT guy is going to get 4-5 $500 a pop
a year licenses just because it is the same as at work? (And...  what
about all the online forums etc? that are free to use) Redhat might
think about giving "those" away for free..  BUT most large companies,
and for sure government, does not allow their employees to accept
'gifts'  for more then a few ($10-15) a year.  So that won't fly either.

my 2 cts,

Ron