[CentOS] What are the differences between CentOS Linux and CentOS Stream?

Tue Dec 15 17:07:15 UTC 2020
Phil Perry <pperry at elrepo.org>

On 15/12/2020 15:29, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:
> Good day from Singapore,
>
> What are the differences between CentOS Linux and CentOS Stream?
>
> At the moment, I only know that CentOS 8 support will end on 31 December
> 2021 while Red Hat Inc will shift its focus to CentOS Stream.
>
> Is CentOS Stream going to be very similar to Fedora Linux, shipping with
> the latest Linux Kernel like 5.10.1?

No. Stream kernel updates will be updates on the (current) path from
RHEL8.3 -> RHEL8.4 so the base kernel will always be 4.18.0 (for Stream
tracking RHEL8)

> I am looking forward to hearing from you.
>
> Thank you.

Some notable differences:

1. 5 Years support versus 10 years support on RHEL/CentOS Linux.

2. Kernel updates break 3rd party out-of-tree kernel drivers.

3. 'dnf downgrade foo' doesn't work as only latest/one copy of each
package in Stream repository so no opportunity to downgrade/roll back
broken packages.