[CentOS] What are the differences between CentOS Linux and CentOS Stream?

Tue Dec 15 17:11:07 UTC 2020
Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>

On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 11:29:51PM +0800, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:
> Good day from Singapore,
> What are the differences between CentOS Linux and CentOS Stream?

CentOS Linux rebuilds packages after they are available from Red Hat as
errata or as minor release updates.

CentOS Stream will have updates approved for future RHEL minor releases
shipped as soon as they meet the criteria.

> At the moment, I only know that CentOS 8 support will end on 31 December
> 2021 while Red Hat Inc will shift its focus to CentOS Stream.

Yes.

> Is CentOS Stream going to be very similar to Fedora Linux, shipping with
> the latest Linux Kernel like 5.10.1?

No. It is going to be very similar to Red Hat Enterprise Linux, shipping
with kernel builds approved to ship in RHEL.

If you want a faster-moving kernel, Fedora CoreOS or Fedora Server might be
a good choice for you.

> I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Also see more at

* https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/centos-stream-is-continuous-delivery/
* https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/how-rhel-is-made/

--