[CentOS] Blog article: CentOS is NOT dead

Wed Dec 16 00:07:49 UTC 2020
R C <cjvijf at gmail.com>

On 12/15/20 4:11 PM, Phelps, Matthew wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 5:04 PM Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
>
>> On 12/14/20 8:25 AM, James Pearson wrote:
>>> Nicolas Kovacs
>>>>

>> https://freedomben.medium.com/centos-is-not-dead-please-stop-saying-it-is-at-least-until-you-read-this-4b26b5c44877
>> good
>>> As others have said, it misses the _really_ important bit about the
>> traditional CentOS model which is to follow the RHEL ~10 year life cycle>
>>> It doesn't matter how good/rock solid/whatever CentOS Stream turns out
>> to be, but if it only has a 5 year life cycle for each major release, then
>> it no good to me (and I suspect many others)
>>
>> There is a 2 year overlap with the next version of stream as well .. in
>> this case CentOS Stream 9.  How long is Debian or Ubuntu LTS maintained
>> for free?
>>
>> 5 years may not be long enough for you .. but it certainly pretty long.
>>   And I am TRYING to get that extended.  I may not be successful, we'll
>> have to see.
>>
>>> The article also mentions "CentOS will no longer be old, crusty, and
>> barely alive, trailing RHEL by months at times" - then why didn't Redhat
>> put resources into CentOS to improve that?
>> Do you have any idea how much money Red Hat is paying to maintain
>> CentOS.  And they are maintaining CentOS 7, even now, until 2024.  There
>> are dozens of machines and several administrators to maintain them.
>>
>>> Redhat must have known, that if they killed off traditional CentOS, then
>> users will simply go elsewhere for a RHEL rebuild ?
>>
>> If you chose not to use CentOS Stream, that is up to you.  What is the
>> OS of your TV set.  What is the firmware of your computer.  Those things
>> are now pretty much irrelevant and commoditized.
>>
>> At some point the underlying OS is going to be much less important and
>> the important part will be the layered parts that contain your apps and
>> not the OS Layer.
>>
>> If you want a RHEL clone, that's fine.  There will be one available.
>> Someone will make one.
>>
>> The real and complete vision of what CentOS Stream will become will not
>> be compolete until around the end of QTR1 2021.  If you chose not to try
>> it, that is up to you.   I truly think Stream will be a much better and
>> more quickly fixed OS when everything is in place.
>>
> I don't expect you to answer Johnny, but why didn't Red Hat wait until
> Stream was "complete'" or ready, or whatever.

I know the above wasn't directed at me, but maybe  it wasn't as much
redhat wanting to sell, but IBM wanting to buy (there is a difference).

IBM's revenue has steadily and steeply been going down, it had quite a
few train wrecks, topped off with plane crashes. IBM is still a very
large company, and still makes A LOT of money but for a large part with
a bunch of dinosaurs that they are stuck with, and someone spotted a meteor.