[CentOS] CentOS 8 future

Wed Dec 16 17:56:19 UTC 2020
R C <cjvijf at gmail.com>

On 12/16/20 10:39 AM, Frank Saporito wrote:
> I may be cynical, but I think this is a business decision.
>
> By gaining control of CentOS, RedHat gained control of its biggest
> (apparent) competitor.  This action should increase the value of
> RedHat.  A few years later, IBM buys RedHat for a staggering 34
> BILLION dollars.  I would expect that before the purchase, there is an
> internal "PowerPoint" slide discussing the elimination of CentOS
> Linux.  Despite the commentary otherwise, I believe CentOS Stream is a
> type of "beta" release.  RedHat can release changes into CentOS Stream
> to make sure it is all good before the point release of RHEL to the
> paying customers.
>
> Or maybe not.

That is exactly my thought. IBM is a very big company, 'physically' as
well as capital wise  and they do top notch, state of the art, research and

development, and they can pretty much solve any problem. The only
problem that IBM always had a problem with dealing with is their
competition.

(The numerous, researchers, scientists, mathematicians, engineers they
employ,  tremendously increases their overhead, hence everything IBM is
expensive.

(I expect that to happen to their licensing too, for redhat in the future)