[CentOS] I'm looking forward to the future of CentOS Stream

Thu Dec 17 17:29:38 UTC 2020
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On 12/13/20 3:25 PM, Dave Stevens wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Dec 2020 21:05:42 +0100 Rainer Duffner
> <rainer at ultra-secure.de> wrote:
>> It’s also not often the case that you can split this kind of work
>> into a thousand work-packages and have everybody just work 1/2 hour a
>> day on it.
> not like Debian for instance
No, not at all like Debian.  Debian doesn't have to try to match the
unattainable goal of 100% binary compatibility with an upstream source.
I've seen a small part of this first-hand, and deducing the build order
to gain binary compatibility is the one thing that can single-thread the
build process quicker than anything else.  RHEL doesn't even have the
same need; an RHEL rebuild that didn't have the goal to be
bug-compatible near the 100% level doesn't, either, and can be built by
a lot of people.

Try it yourself: go back to CentOS 5.5 and attempt to rebuild the
released sources for 5.6 and get a binary compatible build.  I've done
it myself for IA64; it was a pain.

All of the upstream distributions, Debian, Fedora, etc, have a lot of
latitude that CentOS never has enjoyed.