[CentOS] CentOS 8 future

Fri Dec 18 01:54:32 UTC 2020
Konstantin Boyandin <lists at boyandin.info>

On 16.12.2020 22:50, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 12/15/20 9:59 PM, Joshua Kramer wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 15, 2020 at 7:41 PM Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
>>
>>> $250K is not even close.  That is one employee, when you also take into
>>> account unemployment insurance, HR, medical insurance etc.  now multiply
>>> that by 8.  Now, outfit those 8 employees to work from home .. all over
>>> the world, different countries, different laws.
>>
>> I'm genuinely curious about something, and this is mostly academic
>> since it's probably the subject of proprietary discussions within
>> RedHat.  Presumably, RedHat had a build pipeline for RHEL that worked
>> well for them, by supplying alpha/beta releases of point releases to
>> their customers and giving them time to "cook" before releasing those
>> point releases into production.  Why would RedHat invest millions more
>> in buying the CentOS process just to have CentOS act as the beta?
>
> Why did they change the development process of RHEL ..
>
> Because they want to do the development in the community.  The current
> process of RHEL development is closed .. they want it to be open.  It is
> that simple.
>
> I think Stream is also very usable as a distro.  I think it will be just
> as usable as CentOS Linux is now.

It's usable, as Fedora is certainly usable - in its separate use cases.
It's not bug-for-bug copy of current RHEL, so it's *not* as usable as
CentOS Linux was.

> It is not a beta .. I keep saying that.  Before a .0 release (the main,
> or first, main reelase) is a beta.  Point releases do not really need
> betas .. certainly not open to anyone other than customers.  Now CentOS
> Stream is available all the time to everyone, customer or not.  Once the
> full infrastructure is in place, everyone (not just RHEL customers) can
> provide feed back and bugs, do pull requests, etc.

Now please tell me whether Chris Wright was lying when saying the below
to ZDNet:

"To be exact, CentOS Stream is an upstream development platform for
ecosystem developers. It will be updated several times a day. This is
not a production operating system. It's purely a developer's distro."

It's purely a developer's distro. Shall I explain difference between a
developer's distro and the one suitable for production servers (a
rhetoric question)?

--
Sincerely,

Konstantin Boyandin
system administrator (ProWide Labs Ltd. - IPHost Network Monitor)