[CentOS] Out of office: "CentOS Digest, Vol 191, Issue 26"

Sat Dec 26 17:53:36 UTC 2020
Scott Robbins <scottro11 at gmail.com>

On Sat, Dec 26, 2020 at 12:39:38PM -0500, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Dec 2020 at 12:21, Nicolas Kovacs <info at microlinux.fr> wrote:
>
> > > I'm sure all of us have done, if not this, something equally embarrassing
> > > like posting a private reply to an email or doing dd with the wrong
> > > destination, etc.
> >

> > I'm a ten-finger-typer, and I rarely look at the keyboard. Which is a bad
> > thing
> > when your focus is on the wrong terminal. So a few years ago I happened to
> > type
> > "ssh root at some-remote-server.com <ENTER> <ROOTPASSWORD> <ENTER>", vaguely
> > sensed in the corner of my eye that something was wrong and discovered to
> > my
> > horror that I just posted it on a densely populated IRC channel.

That's a popular one. There's even an instance of it on bash.org, though in
that case, they fooled a new comer into thinking that everone saw his
password as ****.

> 2 am clean up of disk space to get email servers working again
> discover a large tree of temp files from a shared service in /usr/<account
> name> # remember before /home?
> /bin/rm -rf . /*
> ^c
> up-arrow
> spew coffee and swearing
> go get reinstall cdrom and backup tapes

Yup that has to count as mine. We had a FreeBSD server and back in older
days, you used to do rm -rf /usr/obj before doing a buildworld. The
sequence was cd /usr/obj;chflags noschg *, rm -rf * then cd /usr/src and
start the build. (I may have that slightly wrong, but that's the idea).

So in my case, I did that, and thought, Hrrm, that's taking a long time to
remove obj.  Then when I got my command prompt back, I did the usual cd
/usr/src and saw directory not found. Hrm, thinks I, that's odd. cd /usr

ls (shows . and ..) I'd removed the entire /usr directory, and I was fairly
new. Fortunately, it was a freshly installed server, I was new to IT and my
boss had a sense of humor about it, and even tried to make me feel better
by telling me similar stories. That was around 19 years ago, so I laugh
now, but sure wasn't laughing then.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6