[CentOS] https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

Tue Dec 8 15:12:13 UTC 2020
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 12/8/20 8:35 AM, Bill Gee wrote:
> Aside from the the latest shiny - what are the advantages of CentOS 8 Stream?  What are the benefits?
>
> I read through the announcement and FAQ, but they do not address that question.  Is it just a name change?  Is it an attempt to put CentOS on a subscription model?

Another very good thing

There is no longer a huge delay of a drop of 750 packages at once and a
delay of more than a month to get a new release.

There will be on delay in stream .. it will be a constantly rolling
distribution .. updates will happen all the time with no 'big drop' at
point release time.

Just do a thought experiment and think about the current process and how
stream works.  There is no reason you can not use CentOS Stream for what
you use CentOS Linux for now.

I know what the knee jerk reaction is .. but put that aside and really
look at the timing of code and release of packages, etc.

If you don't like how it turns out .. then shift to another platform.
You (and we) have a full year to show you the benefits of Stream.

Is Ubuntu or Debian any better wrt package versions and enterprise?

How really different is RHEL 8.3 from 8.2 .. or 8.4 from 8.3?

Just look at the facts and make the choice that is appropriate for your
situation.