[CentOS] [CentOS-devel] https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

Tue Dec 8 16:29:44 UTC 2020

On Tue, Dec 08, 2020 at 11:15:04AM -0500, Rich Bowen wrote:
> That page was never a contract. It's a web page published by an open source
> project. Please do not misconstrue it as a contract.

I don't think anyone seriously thought it was a contract.

Open Source works largely on trust.  Trust that the developers aren't
going to intentionally harm their users, and the trust that those
developers will provide a consistent product.  Developers earn the
trust of their users.  Trust is the basic commodity for Open Source.

That doesn't mean that open source providers always provide those
things.  There are many, many stories out there where upstream makes
an abrupt change that their users dislike.  And if you've broken that
trust, end users are going to be wary of ever putting any more trust
in the developers.

Maybe the CentOS Stream thing will work out OK for everyone.  But the
way this was announced, there are a lot of people who have lost trust
in CentOS and Red Hat.  Changing the end of life for CentOS 8 has
broken our trust in the project.

I see a lot of promises that Stream will have better engagement with
the community.  Why would we trust these promises?