[CentOS] https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

Wed Dec 9 02:00:04 UTC 2020
Pete Biggs <pete at biggs.org.uk>

> It is not the same as Rawhide is all I am saying.
>
> It is based on the current release and it is being modified for some reason.
>
> That modification can be a bugfix from a reported bug, it can be an
> enhancement for a given package or it can be a security update.
>
> Each of these updates will be rolled in one at a time.
>
> It is what will eventually become the next rhel source code in a few
> months for the next point release.
>
> Only you will know if this will work for your situation.

The problem is that we won't know if it will work.  When CentOS matched
the RHEL point releases we knew that an RPM/driver targeted for RHEL
8.2 has a good chance of working on CentOS 8.2 - but that versioning
match is lost with Stream. So vendors will either have to produce
another version of their RPM for CentOS 8 Stream (and continuously
check to see if it needs to be updated) or, more likely, just not
bother to support CentOS.  It already happens - HPE won't support
CentOS, but they do support RHEL and those RHEL RPMs work with CentOS.
The only Linux they support is RHEL, so we're stuck with our HPE kit.

> But I will absolutely say that the things they are rolling into RHEL 8.4
> in a few months are not inherently less stable or less secure or
> whatever else you want to call it .. when compared to other Linux distros.

So instead of keeping everything back for a point release, the packages
are set free once they are ready. Stream is a rolling release. And
that's fine, but it's not what people thought they were getting when
committing to CentOS. It has always been promoted as point release
compatible with RHEL and that was it's main attraction to many people.

A separate question. Will a point release of RHEL 8.x be directly a
snapshot of 8Stream on a specific date? Or will RedHat pick and choose
which versions from 8Stream they put into 8.x? i.e. Would it be
possible to clone the 8Stream tree on the date that, say, 8.6 is
released and call it 8.6.stream - would 8.6 be the same as 8.6.stream?

P.