[CentOS] [CentOS-devel] https://blog.centos.org/2020/12/future-is-centos-stream/

Wed Dec 9 08:19:14 UTC 2020
Ljubomir Ljubojevic <centos at plnet.rs>

I agree with you 100%. I was almost laughed at by vast majority of Linux
professionals when I say I use CentOS exclusively, because 90% of them
uses Debian or Ubuntu, and around 99% of developers does the same.

I see this developing like this:
All/most of the hosting companies will stop offering CentOS in favor of
Debian-based distro's (I doubt they will try other RHEL clones) and the
number of people who *HAVE* to learn CentOS/RHEL will dwindle, leaving
only those who work for RHEL customers, reducing Red Hats subscription pool.

I managed to filter all of my feelings and thoughts in two sentences:

Majority of CentOS users only care about "99% binary compatibility with
*upstream* distro". Take that away and entire Red Hat opensource model
and support is gone, same as Oracle has very little following in Linux
world.